Thursday, September 07, 2006

No, seriously, you fucking tube.

Tube being a slangese word for idiot, space cadet...

A slight return on an earlier piece about animal abuse [Horse Feathers].

Today's news:

Turkey Twizzlers Secret Recipe Revealed

Of Mice and Fuckwits

I mean, the first one is pretty deranged, but when you think about why we have so many animals cooped up in the first place, it leads one down a dietary/moral path that I discuss at greater length in the Horse Feathers post.

This second one is particularly unpleasant in concept. I mean, the other one wasn't posted online... 'youtube' is good for a lot of stuff, new progs, hard to get TV excerpts, mash-up video, genius home made films, ads, etc, etc. But... perhaps there needs to be a Dogme style manifesto [subject to the usual collective Wiki-tweaking, naturally] appended to the site that emphasises the illusory and distantiating nature of film, the importance of artistry and that just recording real stuff is not inherently valuable, no matter how grotesque. [Repeated attempts to find the mouse vid have proved elusive, so bear with me if my outrage in this regard is a response to a spoof...]

To return to the film theory bit... I refer to the 'plastic bag at the World Trade Centre' section in American Beauty, which is so very banal, not in the least bit as philosophically resonant as either the film-maker or meta-film maker thinks, and, to boot, emblematic of everything wrong with 'Western Culture' ['I saw some rubbish and just filmed it rather than cleaning up the mess.'] that it just makes me want to, I dunno, thwack poultry with rage. [Not a euphemism, although it would probably not be as soul-destroying to watch if I were to film me 'choking the chicken', as it were, and put it on youtube... well, a moot point.]

DO NOT INVOLVE THE BEASTS IN YOUR SELF-LOATHING!

At least with Jackass, Dirty Sanchez and the like it's people acting/catharting with themselves.

No comments: