Tuesday, December 05, 2006

if my colours all run dry

The news that humans plan to build a base on the moon is - as ever - a giant leap and a sickening lurch for my heart.

Part of me grew up in the certainty that we'd be in silver jumpsuits toting hoverboards - maybe that's 5000 miles east of where we [note extrapolative 3rd person] are - and responding to this other, kind of glib, BBC article, and being a fan of HHGTTG - h2G2, pah! - since first reading it at 10 years old [1985], I've never thought sci-fi was about future actualities but possibilities, or alternative realities, and in any case, as I've grown older and read more, more than that a reaction, as any writing is, to current actualities - but look... I'm writing this and then it's posted on the biggest message board we've ever constructed... cellphones, CPUs... microsurgery on my parents saved their lives... amazing, and a bit of a stroke of luck temporally and geographically speaking, I believe, well for me, anyway. Nailing virtual tracts to virtual doors, right place, right time...

But as Prince observed:

'A sister killed her baby cuz she couldn't afford 2 feed it
And yet we're sending people 2 the moon.'

Bah! What the fuck is going on?

1 comment:

Matt said...

Yes it does seema tad silly doesn't it.

My brother acquired a patch of land on the moon (1 square metre I believe) from some dubious website (though I doubt it's legally binding).


Please note new blog:
http://dogsbodydreadnaught.blogspot.com/